LOS ANGELES (CNS) — As COVID-19 cases have declined in Los Angeles County, diagnoses of a virus-related pediatric inflammatory disease have also risen, with just eight new cases reported in the past two months, health officials said Friday.
Cases of childhood multi-symptom inflammatory syndrome, or MIS-C, peaked during the winter nationwide COVID wave. There were 100 MIS-C cases reported in the province in January and February, representing half the total number during the pandemic.
What you need to know
LA County reported 198 new cases and five deaths on Friday
As COVID-19 cases have declined in the province, so have diagnoses of a virus-related pediatric inflammatory disease
T County gears up with rest of state to lift most of COVID-19 health restrictions on Tuesday
There were 236 people hospitalized on Friday due to COVID-19 in the province, up from 240 on Thursday on Thursday
The syndrome is considered rare, but it is potentially fatal for patients who contract it. Of the 200 children diagnosed with the disease in the province, all had to be hospitalized and 36% ended up in intensive care. Two children died of the syndrome.
The Latino/a community was most affected, accounting for 73% of cases.
California COVID-19, according to the numbers:
🔹 Confirmed cases so far: 3,694,498
🔹Note: Numbers may not represent real change from day to day as test result reporting may be delayed
Learn more at https://t.co/TLLUGwPGY7. pic.twitter.com/UVnWjrRqYL
— CA Public Health (@CAPublicHealth) June 11, 2021
But with the COVID-19 numbers dropping to pandemic lows, the incidence of MIS-C has also fallen. Only eight cases were confirmed in April and May, according to the provincial health ministry.
Meanwhile, the county is gearing up with the rest of the state to lift most of the COVID-19 health restrictions on Tuesday. But health officials urged residents to remain cautious, as only about half of the population has been fully vaccinated.
“Protecting the residents of LA County remains a top priority as physical distancing requirements and capacity limits are lifted on June 15,” Barbara Ferrer, director of public health, said in a statement. “COVID-19 transmission that continues to occur among unvaccinated people results in hospitalizations and deaths. While masks will not be necessary in many environments from June 15, face coverings remain an excellent means of protection for those not yet ready to be vaccinated.” turn into.
“Fully vaccinated people are the most protected, so we are asking anyone who is eligible for the vaccine and has not yet been vaccinated to consider getting the COVID-19 vaccine as soon as possible,” she said.
Through this Thursday, anyone who receives a first vaccine dose at locations operated by the county, city or the St. John’s Well Child and Family Center will have a chance to win season tickets to the Clippers, Chargers, or Rams. The contest is also open to anyone who comes in for a second dose appointment and brings another person who needs a first dose.
The state of California will finalize its financial stimulus program on Tuesday and hold a drawing to give away $1.5 million each to 10 vaccinated residents.
Long Beach officials, meanwhile, will offer its residents the chance to win a two-night hotel stay, a $50 cash card, or a $50 gift card to Fandango, Target or Walmart if they get vaccinated before Saturday. That contest is open to anyone who comes in for their first dose of vaccine. Long Beach officials said that since they started offering incentives last month, the number of vaccinations has doubled.
The province announced another five COVID-19 deaths on Friday, bringing the total death toll to 24,416.
An additional 198 cases were also announced, bringing the cumulative total for the entire pandemic to 1,245,949.
According to state figures, 236 people had been hospitalized as of Friday as a result of COVID-19 in the province, down from 240 on Thursday, with 43 people in intensive care, down from 45 the day before.