Town & Country FCU helps raise $36,000 for Maine Children’s Cancer Program

SCARBOROUGH – Faced with a pandemic and health protocols restricting or banning indoor meetings, the 27th annual CU Swish-Out Childhood Cancer Challenge, hosted and presented by Town & Country Federal Credit Union, ran the risk of being canceled for the first time in its history. However, based on feedback from previous participants and strong support from sponsors and volunteers, it was clear that the ‘shot’ had to go through. Instead of a one-day 3v3, co-ed tournament for adults and youth teams, this year’s event turned into a ‘virtual’ 3v3 free throw competition. The one-month “ virtual ” contest, which ran from April 12 to May 8, ultimately raised a healthy $ 36,000 in “ real ” funds to support the Maine Children’s Cancer Program.

“Our organizing committee met in February when it was clear that we could not hold a personal tournament. The choice was to cancel or to come up with a different format. Our group asked past participants about holding a free throw match where teams of three would still be co-ed and each participant would shoot 50 free throws from anywhere and report their aggregate totals every week. Based on the totals, 75 percent of the teams continued each week and the other 25 percent were eliminated. In the last week, the finalists in each division competed for bragging rights in first, second and third place. It got really fun with the strong support from participants and sponsors, ”said Jon Paradise, senior VP of communications, marketing and community outreach at Town & Country, and the tournament’s founder. For the first time in many years, Paradise formed a team itself that eventually finished second in the Adult Division.

While this year’s event was a great alternative in the wake of circumstances, Paradise said there are plans to resume next year’s event in person. “There is something special seeing hundreds of participants and spectators gather for the event at USM in Gorham. We look forward to meeting again next year. “

Collectively, more than 30 teams participated in the 2021 events. The top three teams in the adult division were: Riley’s Basketball of Gray; Town & Country FCU for Three of Portland; and Durham’s weakest link. Top Three Teams in the Middle School Division: TCFCU’s Worth a Shot of Portland; Middle School Rules of Saco; and above the edge of Scarborough. The top three teams in the 5th / 6th Grade Division were: The Three Bucketeers of Falmouth; The Falmouth Force of Falmouth; and The Backboard Counts of Sanford.

Town & Country FCU will present the event alongside a number of other major sponsors, including: Town & Country FCU; WEX; Next Level Solutions; Kasasa; Atlantic Title Company; MR Brewer; PCH; Enterprise Rent-A-Car; Martin’s Point Health Care Cumberland County FCU; Risbara Bros. Construction; CO-OP financial services; Bob’s Discount Furniture; Tricorp FCU; Ossipee Motor Sales; WGTECH; Epstein and Hunt; Casco FCU; Clark Insurance; and WPOR 101.9.

Founded in 1994, the Swish-Out Childhood Cancer Challenge has now raised more than $ 600,000 for children with cancer and their families at the Maine Children’s Cancer Program, including an impressive $ 36,000 by 2021.

Town & Country, Maine’s second largest credit union with 40,000 members, is a full-service financial institution offering a wide variety of financial products and services to those who live, work, attend school, or worship in Cumberland and York Counties . The credit union, designated by Forbes as one of the “ best credit unions in Maine, ” has $ 480 million in assets and is part of the country’s second-largest branch network. Visit http://www.tcfcu.com for more information.

Comments are closed.